“We help you figure out what you love to do faster” — Melissa Buerkett
“Man, I wish I could get more interviews like that,” I thought. As luck would have it, a few weeks later I ran into Melissa Buerkett at the annual IIE Summit in NYC, and we decided to get an interview on the books.
Melissa’s above quote is what sets Global Experiences (@globalexperiences) apart from other third party study abroad programs. She explains it more greater detail in the interview, but they basically match you up with the perfect internship by finding you strengths and interests, and where you want to go before they make recommendations.
Really, it’s pretty innovative, so naturally I was (and still am) curious.
The interview is also peppered with stories from Melissa’s own global experiences and it’s evident that she truly lives up to the name of the company she now works for.
“The wisest man is he who knows nothing” – Socrates
- Studying business and classics at Oxford through the IFSA-Butler program 🇬🇧 [1:43]
- On the ease of travel around the EU 🇪🇺 [4:13]
- Nothing like a good savory pie 🥧 [5:16]
- Gaining perspective on life planning from studying abroad 🤔 [6:38]
- Working on racing maxis and tall ships in the Whitsunday Islands and other random jobs 🇦🇺 [8:52]
- Utilizing a person’s strengths to help discover career paths through Global Experiences 🏋️♂️ [10:41]
- Media recommendations 🎧 [14:17]
- University partnerships and scholarships with Global Experiences 🤝 [16:09]
- Advice for students studying abroad, final quote, and recommendations 🙌 [19:13]